Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural Gettext

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural Gettext
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:45:18 +0100

Le Vendredi 30 Janvier 2004 09:19, Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :
> So perhaps we should discuss single cases and make the strings/ui clear
> on them.

In the Display drop-down menu, "Installed" is plural.
In the Preferences/colours, "Installed" in singular.

To avoid this issue, we can use "Installed packages", etc... in the menu. In
Preferences (colours), "Installed package' would be better.

It always is a problem to use an English word which is the same in singular
and plural (like "Installed"). In any cases, it should avoided. There are
several such cases in Synaptic ("Queued", etc..).

Of course, it is only important because Synaptic will some day be available in
100 languages. Otherwise, it should not matter.

Some languages are very different from Indo-European languages. In some
languages (no idea which), it may not be possible to translate single words
like "Installed' without knowing whether it is plural or singular.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel