Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural Gettext

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural Gettext
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:20:54 +0100

Am Fr, den 30.01.2004 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 09:45:
> Le Vendredi 30 Janvier 2004 09:19, Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :
> > So perhaps we should discuss single cases and make the strings/ui clear
> > on them.
>
> In the Display drop-down menu, "Installed" is plural.
> In the Preferences/colours, "Installed" in singular.

The filters are a mess at the moment. I want to replace the terms, but
this would require a bigger code change, which I am not capable of.

Background:
The display name of the filter is also used as its internal name. So a
change to the name would make it appear twice, since a new filter would
be created.

Perhaps some of you have already noted this behavior some time ago: I
renamed "programmed changes" to "queued changes". This was ok on a not
yet configured synaptic. But if the config with the filter definitions
already existed, both the "programmed" and "queued" filter appeared.

> To avoid this issue, we can use "Installed packages", etc... in the menu. In
> Preferences (colours), "Installed package' would be better.

This is what I have in my mind, too. So let us put some pressure on
Michael and Gustavo :)

> It always is a problem to use an English word which is the same in singular
> and plural (like "Installed"). In any cases, it should avoided. There are
> several such cases in Synaptic ("Queued", etc..).

I try to avoid unclear cases. But I haven't yet reviewed all strings in
synaptic.

You want to get rid of passive constructions at all? I don't think that
this would a be good idea.

Does the "Queued" refer to the topic in the filter dialog? It is
singular there, since it means "Queued Status" like "Current Status" and
"Other Status".

Regards,

Sebastian