Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Please contact the author of this software if this

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Please contact the author of this software if this messageis diplayed"
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:47:53 +0200

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:26:47PM -0400, Philip Miller wrote:
> First off, "messageis" should be "message is". Patch would be attached,
> except grep can't find 'messageis' anywhere in the source. Neither is it to
> be found in the source of apt or dpkg.
>
> Second, I've contacted you. What can I do to help debug this? I haven't
> tried to reproduce, because I've kept the "Applying Changes..." window of
> Synaptic open.

Thanks for contacting us. This message is displayed if there is a
unknown error condition returned from apt. I really want to know how
often this happens and under what cirumstances.

Did something got actually installed during the run that resulted in
this message?

> The complete contents of the window are as follows:
> >Please contact the author of this software if this messageis diplayed
> >
> > Successfull
> >y applied all changes. You can close the window now
>
> I'm running Debian unstable ("Sid"). Presently, I use apt-watch and
> apt-listchanges. There may be some interaction among them causing this
> issue, and if there is, I'd be glad to help flush it out.
>
> I've already filed a Debian bug on this matter, though the bug server seems
> to be running slowly, as I've not gotten the ACK with the bug number back
> yet.

Thanks. What kind of kernel do you run? How often did this happen? Is
it reproducable?

> Philip Miller
Michael