Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Please contact the author of this software if this

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Please contact the author of this software if this messageis diplayed"
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:01:58 +0200

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:57:38PM -0400, Philip Miller wrote:

> >>$ uname -a
> >>Linux phil 2.6.5+phil1 #1 Sun Apr 4 14:16:16 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >>Locally built, but no patches, just the vanilla kernel.org source.
> >>
> >>When I run it again from apt-watch, when it shows there are upgrades, I
> >>receive the same error on the first attempt at 'Apply'ing, and then it
> >>works correctly on the second, as before.
> >
> >Thanks a lot. The apt-watch hint helped a lot. I can reproduce the
> >problem here and it looks like it's some issue with apt-watch and
> >libzvt (the library we use for terminal output). I have version of
> >synaptic that builds against a different terminal widget (vte from
> >latest cvs) and the problem does not occur then.
>
> Out of curiosity, on Debian at least, why not just use the user's preferred
> xterm, rather than embeding your own? I would find synaptic much nicer if
> the output were in a gnome-terminal rather than the built-in one.

Does the version I put on http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/ work
for you?

Well, this  has technical reasons.  Synaptic embeds apt (libapt  to be
exact), it  does not exec it.  So we can  only use a terminal  that is
accessable from within gtk. I  would _love_ to use the terminal widget
that gnome-terminal uses  (that is vte). But the  current vte does not
have the support that synaptic needs (the cvs version has). Once a new
version of vte comes out we'll switch to it.

> Philip Miller
Michael