tcd-hackers

[Tcd-hackers] Volume control

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: [Tcd-hackers] Volume control
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:38:53 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

in SDL 2.1.0 and before, the (anyway broken) volume control (now fixed in CVS)
called tcd_[gs]et_volume(), which then regulates the _Hardware Volume_ of the
CDROM drive, which affected both the "cd" mixer control of the OSS mixer, and
headphones attached to. The default hardware volume is 100%, so it seems.

Since SDL 1.2.5, that is what my distro provides ATM, does not seem to have a
CDROMVOLCTRL ioctl in the linux cdrom code, volume control would not work
either unless the SDL coders add that.

On the other hand, why not simply use SDL_mixer and control the OSS mixer then,
if the user wants to use his favorite mixer set (amixer, omixer (by me heh),
kmix, etc.), he would be puzzled to find the "CD" control at its default (for
me 67%) and still does not hear a thing if the Hardware Volume for example is
0%.

--
- Jan Engelhardt