tcd-hackers

Re: [Tcd-hackers] Volume control

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: [Tcd-hackers] Volume control
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:18:54 +0200 (MEST)

>> Since SDL 1.2.5, that is what my distro provides ATM, does not seem to have a
>> CDROMVOLCTRL ioctl in the linux cdrom code, volume control would not work
>> either unless the SDL coders add that.
>
>You mean that SDL doesn't provide a volume control interface, or that such
>interface is yet unable to access Linux cdrom ioctl's?

Means that SDL has no (hardware) volume code.

>Btw, iirc 1.2.5 is a bit old. You might want to check in newer versions.
Most recent my distro provides.

>> On the other hand, why not simply use SDL_mixer and control the OSS mixer
>> then,
>> if the user wants to use his favorite mixer set (amixer, omixer (by me heh),
>> kmix, etc.), he would be puzzled to find the "CD" control at its default (for
>> me 67%) and still does not hear a thing if the Hardware Volume for example is
>> 0%.
>
>I like my cd player to be independant from software control, so that when I
>quit tcd the playing doesn't stop, etc. If it's possible to avoid controlling
>sound from software i'd like to do that.

Nah, CD playing will continue on playing when quitting TCD, it has always been
like that. The point I was referring to is to have the volume control change
the OSS volume, not the hardware, that is all.

--
- Jan Engelhardt