tcd-hackers

Re: [Tcd-hackers] Volume control

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Tcd-hackers] Volume control
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:48:21 +0000

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 09:38:53AM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> Since SDL 1.2.5, that is what my distro provides ATM, does not seem to have a
> CDROMVOLCTRL ioctl in the linux cdrom code, volume control would not work
> either unless the SDL coders add that.

You mean that SDL doesn't provide a volume control interface, or that such
interface is yet unable to access Linux cdrom ioctl's?

Btw, iirc 1.2.5 is a bit old. You might want to check in newer versions.

> On the other hand, why not simply use SDL_mixer and control the OSS mixer
> then,
> if the user wants to use his favorite mixer set (amixer, omixer (by me heh),
> kmix, etc.), he would be puzzled to find the "CD" control at its default (for
> me 67%) and still does not hear a thing if the Hardware Volume for example is
> 0%.

I like my cd player to be independant from software control, so that when I
quit tcd the playing doesn't stop, etc. If it's possible to avoid controlling
sound from software i'd like to do that.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)