Re: menu reformatting

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: menu reformatting
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:03:25 +0100

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:20:57PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> So, now that I've messed with so many node names in the manual, it's
> time to reformat the menus so the descriptions are nicely aligned again
> and everything is in sync.
>
> 1b) master menu in tp: I tried running
>   makeinfo -c TREE_TRANSFORMATIONS=regenerate_master_menu \
>   -c PLAINTEXINFO=1 texinfo.txi -o /tmp/x
> but the result was not what I expected; it seems to omit at least some
> lower-level menus.  The first one missing is (ironically) the menu in
> the "Updating Nodes and Menus" node.  Let me know if you need more
> details.  (This isn't critical since the emacs command worked.)

I certainly have missed something, I limited the master menu to the
menus for each of the nodes in the top node menu.
So, just to be sure, if there is

@node Top

@menu
* n1::
* n2::
@end menu

@node n1

@menu
* n1n1::
@end menu

@node n1n1

@menu
* n1n1n1::
@end menu

@node n1n1n1

@menu
* n1n1n1n1::
@end menu

@node n1n1n1n1

@node n2

@menu
* n2n1::
@end menu

@node n2n1

@menu
* n2n1n1::
@end menu

@node n2n1n1

@menu
* n2n1n1n1::
@end menu

@node n2n1n1n1

Then the master menu should be

@detailmenu
 --- The Detailed Node Listing ---

n1

* n1n1::

n1n1

* n1n1n1::

n1n1n1

* n1n1n1n1::

n2

* n2n1::

n2n1

* n2n1n1::

n2n1n1

* n2n1n1n1::

That is children first output of all the menus in the document?

> 2b) other menus in tp: didn't see anything for this.  Am I missing it?

The tree transformation 'complete_tree_nodes_menus' should do that.

> Also, I think it would be useful to be
> able to specify a column number to try to align to.  If this is a pain,
> it can just go on TODO and I'll do it by hand now.

You mean, add spaces up to some alignement, taking into account how Info
would format the nodes?  This could be doable, sure, and certainly not
complicated.

> A bigger but less important problem is the differences between
> PLAINTEXINFO and the input.  For this particular job, the ideal thing
> would be for the output to be the same as the input, i.e., without
> expanding @value and the like.  Since the point is to re-insert the new
> text into the original document.  However, since @value and macros and
> so on are rarely if ever used in menus (it's not a problem in
> texinfo.txi, anyway), there's no urgent need to worry about it.  Just a
> TODO ...  (Didn't Bruno also want the unexpanded input for gettext?)

This is a big TODO item for the next release, all this 'sourcemark'
stuff is meant to be able to go back to the initial texinfo, including
use macro and value unexpansion.

--
Pat