[Texmacs-dev] Placement of temporary files (was: Privacy considerations)

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Placement of temporary files (was: Privacy considerations)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:55:37 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 10. September 2003 18:18 schrieben Sie:
> Now I agree more or less with what you say below.
> However, I don't know of any safe Unix command which
> creates temporary file names for me.

It is true: about every second security alert on Unix is about unsafe creation
of temporaries. I don't really know, what the correct procedure for that
would be. Many programs create a subdirectory like /tmp/PROGRAM-USER-PID/,
make it unaccessible to anyone but the calling user and then do whatever they
like within it.

I'm not an expert on security matters in that respect, so it would probably be
safest to consult some documentation about it.

> Notice nevertheless that you may make ~/.TeXmacs/system/tmp
> a symbolic link to whatever safe directory you want...

Of course, that is an option for those who care about that detail. Anyway: As
someone who uses douzens of different programs, I don't really like the idea
of having to hand-configure them individually for something I'd see as
standard behaviour.

> There are a few circumstances where people may want to
> inspect their temporary files though. For instance,
> when compiling a bibliography and something goes wrong,
> then the current solution allows us to inspect
> the temporary files...

That's fairly independant of the question where the files are located.

--
______________________Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>

    Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
    Institut für Theoretische Physik III
    Staudtstr. 7  ...  D-91058 Erlangen  ...  Room No. U1.526
    Tel: +49 9131 / 85-28816  ...  Mobile: +49 179 / 7475199