Re: Style files (was Re: [Texmacs-dev] Ping!)

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: Style files (was Re: [Texmacs-dev] Ping!)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:29:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Amit Dubey wrote:
> I would be very interested in style file importing.

This is bound to be *very* hard.

> I also have an interest in better compatibility with bibtex style files.

What do you mean more precisely?

> I am willing to contribute code for the latter. I am in the last
> (somewhat stressed) stages of writing my dissertation, and I'd like to
> fix some things that don't seem to be working very well for me. Most
> importantly, I'd like to be able to make citations using the following
> guidelines:
>
> http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/APA/intextcite.html

This page is not available to the general public.

Generally speaking, it would be good if TeXmacs could not rely on
BiBTeX at all, i.e. if someone would be willing to integrate an equivalent
of BiBTeX into TeXmacs. Even though this would certainly take quite
a lot of work, I expect no major difficulties. Indeed, I am currently
working on support for macros which deal with data rather than content
and importing existing BiBTeX files would be quite straightforward,
since the data format is rather clean.

On the other hand, this is not really urgent, because the existing
BiBTeX support works reasonably well.

> Several months ago, I sent a message to the users list asking if this
> was already possible, but got no replies... I assume it is not.  I
> haven't yet had a chance to look very closely at the code, though. But I
> do plan to do so soon... If anyone could send some tips on where to
> start looking, that would be very helpful.

I sometimes cannot reply immediately and the message goes on a pile of
messages which are replied only after a long delay.

Best wishes, Joris