Re: Style files (was Re: [Texmacs-dev] Ping!)

From: Amit Dubey
Subject: Re: Style files (was Re: [Texmacs-dev] Ping!)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:16:22 +0200

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Amit Dubey wrote:
I would be very interested in style file importing.

This is bound to be *very* hard.
Ah, I see, you are making TeXmacs style files rather than an importer. Also very useful, sorry for the confusion!

I also have an interest in better compatibility with bibtex style files.

What do you mean more precisely?
TeXmacs does not appear to work properly with plainnat. Instead of citations like Jones et al. (1990), they look like: [Jones et al. (1990) Jones, Smith and Wood]. I'm not sure how to fix this (could it be all done with macros?) As I think about it, maybe part of the problem is that natbib carries the extra information necessary for a \newcite, and a macro needs to filter it out. Hmmm.....

I am willing to contribute code for the latter. I am in the last
(somewhat stressed) stages of writing my dissertation, and I'd like to
fix some things that don't seem to be working very well for me. Most
importantly, I'd like to be able to make citations using the following
guidelines:

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/APA/intextcite.html

This page is not available to the general public.
My apologies, the extension should be ".htm". For a quick cut and paste, the URL is:

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/APA/intextcite.htm

Generally speaking, it would be good if TeXmacs could not rely on
BiBTeX at all, i.e. if someone would be willing to integrate an equivalent
of BiBTeX into TeXmacs. Even though this would certainly take quite
a lot of work, I expect no major difficulties. Indeed, I am currently
working on support for macros which deal with data rather than content
and importing existing BiBTeX files would be quite straightforward,
since the data format is rather clean.

If you think these macros might help me with my problem, I'd be willing to help work out the wrinkles...

On the other hand, this is not really urgent, because the existing
BiBTeX support works reasonably well.

Several months ago, I sent a message to the users list asking if this
was already possible, but got no replies... I assume it is not.  I
haven't yet had a chance to look very closely at the code, though. But I
do plan to do so soon... If anyone could send some tips on where to
start looking, that would be very helpful.

I sometimes cannot reply immediately and the message goes on a pile of
messages which are replied only after a long delay.
I didn't mean it as criticism! You are very helpful to your users :)

-Amit