[Texmacs-dev] Bibliography

From: Bas Spitters
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Bibliography
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:50:50 +0100

Hello,

The bibliography is one of the few points in texmacs where the user still have
to rely on latex-knowledge. This is sometimes difficult for new users (see
the recent request on texmacs-users). Personally, I sometimes forget the key
of a bibtex entry in a large database. I can of course retrieve it using
grep/vim, but I think some more support is sometimes convenient.

I had a short look at this. Here's what I found so far, hoping it might be
useful for others.
I have used both pybliographer and tkbibtex before at times.
It seems that pybliographer is slightly more developed.
Here's some information from the website:
(http://pybliographer.org)
 Pybliographer is a tool for managing bibliographic databases. It can be used
for searching, editing, reformatting, etc. In fact, it's a simple framework
that provides easy to use python classes and functions, and therefore can be
extended to many uses (generating HTML pages according to bibliographic
searches, etc).

In addition to the scripting environment, a graphical Gnome interface is
available. It provides powerful editing capabilities, a nice hierarchical
search mechanism, direct insertion of references into LyX and Kile, direct
queries on Medline, and more. It currently supports the following file
formats: BibTeX, ISI, Medline, Ovid, Refer.

Both tkbibtex and pybliographer support the so-called lyx-pipe, which
communicates via a file.  The pyblink tool copies the information from the
lyx-pipe to the X-clipboard. It is easy to change this tool so that it
outputs the texmacs format. Then this combination can be used in the
following way:

* select a reference in pybliographic. Choose cite from the menu. Then choose
"paste as texmacs" in texmacs.

This is quite usable.

Possible improvements:
* Make texmacs watch the lyx-pipe at all times. (I did not see how to do this
using guile extensions).
* Create a complete interface to pybliographer in texmacs.

Please let me know whether there are better solutions. If not, I could write
some documentation on this if anyone thinks this is useful.

Bas