Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:32:42 +0100

In fact, I found a clear measurement that indicates a problem:

Running TeXmacs/Qt on my fairly modern notebook (fully optimized compile).

I fill one page with plain text. Now simply moving through the text with the right arrow (no editing!) brings up the CPU load to 100%. Of this, 95% are spent in the X server. TeXmacs itself only takes 5% of the CPU power.

I tried activating the code in check_event. The display is incomplete now, but the CPU load is down to 30% and TeXmacs feels fully reactive.

Seems like this optimization is crucial not only for slow machines after all...

Greetings,
Norbert