Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution

From: Gubinelli Massimiliano
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:04:11 +0200

Hi,

On 13 oct. 09, at 22:32, Norbert Nemec wrote:

In fact, I found a clear measurement that indicates a problem:

Running TeXmacs/Qt on my fairly modern notebook (fully optimized compile).

I fill one page with plain text. Now simply moving through the text with the right arrow (no editing!) brings up the CPU load to 100%. Of this, 95% are spent in the X server. TeXmacs itself only takes 5% of the CPU power.

I can confirm this observation. In my ubuntu virtual machine (VirtualBox/MacOSX) the above protocol gives \sim 75% CPU load to Xorg and \sim 23% to texmacs. You should check that you do not use cairo since at the moment the cairo rendering is slightly unoptimal in QT (explicit and naive double-buffer). On my mac the load remains reasonable (30% which should include the GUI load also since the total CPU load is not much higher).

Proprer implementation of check_event require knowing if there are pending key events in the queue and this is not possible in Qt (or even in Cocoa). Moderns GUI API explicitly discurage looking at the event queue so we should design a different mechanism to reimplement what it is currently done in the X11 port.

best
max

I tried activating the code in check_event. The display is incomplete now, but the CPU load is down to 30% and TeXmacs feels fully reactive.

Seems like this optimization is crucial not only for slow machines after all...

Greetings,
Norbert