Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution

From: Josef Weidendorfer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:06:25 +0200

On Wednesday 14 October 2009, Alex D wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the -graphicssystem raster switch tells the Qt
> library to use a different graphics backend that performs rendering and text
> rasterization in software (on the client) instead of relying on the server
> (X11).

AFAIK correct, yes.

> I heard that these performance issues were due to performance regressions
> recently introduced into the Intel graphics drivers. However, the upcoming
> version of Ubuntu, Karmic Koala, introduces newer drivers which are supposed
> to fix all these issues. I'll do some testing when it comes out later this
> month.
>
> Setting the switch is the only way to force graphicssystem raster for a
> particular application short of recompiling the libraries. This can be done
> with a wrapper script.

No, you can change the render backend also from your Qt application,
via Application::setGraphicsSystem("raster"); (Qt version >= 4.5).

But...

> > Could it be set permanently?

... please do not do this. Depending on the system, it also can have huge
negative effects, e.g. with slow CPU but graphics HW acceleration (without
bugs in the driver). Also, if X does not run on the same system (ie. remote),
it will result in huge pixmap data to be copied on every update, similar to VNC.

Josef