thales-misc

Re: [Thales] Thales IRCU support

From: Andy Smith
Subject: Re: [Thales] Thales IRCU support
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 01:45:37 +0100

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 06:37:27PM +0200, Daniël Boeije wrote:
> Dear Lucas,
>
> The problem is that there are much networks who are wanting to use
> IRCu since it doesn't contain ****ing shit which is not needed by
> normal opers. Turning to different IRCds means also turning to other
> services, which is a big problem since there are no converters for
> GNUWorld.

Will you *please* give the man a break?

All I have seen from you in the past year is repeated whines about
how thales contains no IRCu support.  I don't speak for Lucas but
for God's sake will you give it a rest.  This is Free software.
IMHO Lucas went beyond the call of duty in even doing some research
into how many users this actually affects - and now we see it is
just 141 IRC users.

If IRCu support in thales is so important for you then I urge you
to;

a) shut up, save your pennies, and employ someone to add it. or;
b) shut up, find some time to learn C, MySQL C API, and the source
   of thales, and add it yourself

I am sure if either were done then Lucas would consider adding such
code into the main source of thales.  If not then you can distribute
it as a fork.

The bottom line is - even if there were 141 million users on networks
using IRCu - if Lucas doesn't feel like writing it then he doesn't
have to.  He is under no obligation to do it.  If this makes you
uncomfortable then I suggest you give up using open source software.

Stop your incessant whining!  The man said no at least 3 times that
I have seen.