[therion-users] How do all the metapost parts fit together.

From: Michael Lake
Subject: [therion-users] How do all the metapost parts fit together.
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:56:29 +1000

I can see that therion.mp defines MetaPost macros and things like .

I see that thPoint.mp contains...

% @DESCRIPTION
% <H4>Survey stations:</H4>

% @SYMBOL
% thFixedstation_ASF --
%
% @PREVIEW
%
% thFixedstation_ASF((.5,.5) inscale);

def p_station_fixed_ASF (expr pos)=
    T:=identity shifted pos;
    pickup PenD;
    pair z;
    z:=(0,.2u);
    thclean z -- (z rotated 120) -- (z rotated 240) -- cycle;
    thdraw z -- (z rotated 120) -- (z rotated 240) -- cycle;
    thdraw origin;
enddef;

and that thdraw is defined in mpost/therion.mp which I think is generated from thmpost.h which is generated from your RCS system. I am trying to work out how this all fits together.

I gather then that you have some scripts that will generate HTML from the file and that the HTML can document the available symbols. Am I guessing right? Like the ASF symbol for a fixed station.

What would be nice would be to generate automatically a PDF doc that has the name of the UIS symbol and it's picture i.e. run a script that processes the mp fragments, extracts the name and desription, creates the eps files and then runs pdflatex to make a table of all the UIS symbols listed alphabetically or by type of symbol.

The reason why I am trying t fit it together is so I can do things like make my own symbols -- well even help you make the many other UIS symbols that arent in therion yet too. I dont know much metapost but can learn. It appears at present that to add new symbols one must add the mp code and then recompile.

Also I see you need help with writing some sections in the manual - like the section "New map symbols".

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.