Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites

From: Julian Todd
Subject: Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:08:23 +0000

Stacho Mudrak wrote:

> I have tried, but only centerline map is displayed correctly
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.speleo.sk/test.kml

This file has Z-coordinates.  In googleearth it's still treated as
flat.  I was hoping that I'd get something rendered in 3D but underneath
the terrain, which I could see above the flat terrain if I turned the 3D
terrain off.  This doesn't happen.  Has this been investigated?

Getting our 3D surveys rendered into the googleearth seamlessly (so we
can throw away all our current viewers with their funny controls and
ridiculous content-starved binary 3D formats) is something worth
aspiring to.  However, the land will tend to obscure the caves.

If anyone gets a 3D model that behaves as expected, then someone can
contact google to see if they've thought of this challenge.  Maybe it's
an issue waiting on some examples from one of us before they can work
with it.

BTW, it's lovely work so far.

Julian T.