Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: [Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:35:32 +0000

On 2007-02-01 13:08 +0000, Julian Todd wrote:
> Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> >
> > I have tried, but only centerline map is displayed correctly
> >
> > http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.speleo.sk/test.kml
> >

> This file has Z-coordinates.  In googleearth it's still treated as
> flat.  I was hoping that I'd get something rendered in 3D but underneath
> the terrain, which I could see above the flat terrain if I turned the 3D
> terrain off.  This doesn't happen.  Has this been investigated?
>

> Getting our 3D surveys rendered into the googleearth seamlessly (so we
> can throw away all our current viewers with their funny controls and
> ridiculous content-starved binary 3D formats) is something worth
> aspiring to.  However, the land will tend to obscure the caves.

It may be cool, but it's not much of an aspiration whilst google earth
remains proprietary software. I'm sticking to Free viewers we have
some control over.

Similar problem with the map data. It's not ours, we can't do what we
want with it (like publish the results in a journal). We can't use it
offline, and so on (correct me if I am wrong on any of this). So it's
(very) nice, but also highly limited.

> If anyone gets a 3D model that behaves as expected, then someone can
> contact google to see if they've thought of this challenge.  Maybe it's
> an issue waiting on some examples from one of us before they can work
> with it.
>

> BTW, it's lovely work so far.

Indeed - it is extremely fine, but we do need to be careful not to
make ourselves beholden to other people's data and software.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/