thug

Re: [Thug] Poster

From: James Morrison
Subject: Re: [Thug] Poster
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not terribly good at visual stuff, but I'm almost thinking a
> collection of 3 "posters":
>
> 1) Simply an 8.5"x11" picture of the Hurd logo.  Maybe with a GNU
> in
> the corner.  Possibly with the thug email address in the corner
> too.
What about one of those colourful logo's made up around 4 months ago.
GNU's are good ;).  What is a baby Gnu called?

> 2) A paraphrase of the famous announcement:

[slight alteration]
> Do you mutt'er of the nice days of Linux-1.0, when men were men and
> wrote their own device drivers? Are you without a nice project and
> just dying to cut your teeth on a OS you can try to modify for your
> needs [we need something to mention that GNU hurd is entirly in
userspace]?
> Are you finding it frustrating when everything works on Linux?
> No more all-nighters to get a nifty program working? Then this post
> might be just for you.
>
> with the Hurd logo taking up half the page, thug email address on
> the corner.
>
> 3) The grand statement: "This is the Hurd.  Welcome" and some
> information about some of our goals with contact information, The
> Hurd
> logo in just the corner, etc...
> (Just ideas, figure we may as well throw as many as we can out...)
Goals?
        I know I would love to be able to use GNU/Hurd as a firewall
between
2 networks, either cable or dsl, or straight ethernet.  I know you
are
looking at some of this Jeff.

        I'm starting to look at libps, ps, and procfs to see if I can
make
a simple version of top for GNU Hurd.  Neal also said procfs should
be
rewritten to use libnetfs instead of libtrivfs or something like
that.

        I mentioned this to Ryan but I think it would be nice to add
--diff option to shadowfs to allow a programmer to get source, alter
it,
compile it and have the diff's from altering the program already
created in
the diff directory.

        Anyway, it's time to start reading mach.info.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware