Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 05:23:11 -0400

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 11:38:11PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2007 9:35:05 pm Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> > On 9/20/07, Rob Landley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > means is "doesn't move", same root as stasis.
> >
> > Mmm, more like "stands", which isn't quite the same.
>
> *shrug*  My last etymology course was in 1987, I'm not interested in arguing
> with you.

OT: (since I have OED handy): "static" comes from Latin staticus, from
the Greek ({sigma}{tau}{alpha}{tau}{iota}{kappa}{goacu}{fsigma})
"causing to stand" and also pertaining to [skill in] weighing.  It's
heavily overloaded even in English; OED has 7 definitions for it just
as an adjective.  Earliest quotations OED has are mid-1600s, mostly to
do with weighing things though there's a rare usage describing someone
as having a stable mental condition.  Its use in regard to
electricity, and in physics as the opposite of "dynamic", dates from
the mid-1800s.

                                                  -Dave Dodge