Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:11:58 -0500

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 12:24:33 am Dave Dodge wrote:
> My very limited experience from the sidelines has been that what they
> really care about are the for-pay final Standards, and drafts are
> passed around without raising any complaint.  Mirroring at kernel.org
> does however sound like "other purpose" and would technically require
> permission -- which they might be reluctant to give since they don't
> really want people relying on possibly outdated drafts as an
> implementation reference.

I'm implementing tcc based on the outdated draft I was able to find, because
it's what I have.  If I'm directly told I can't legally use that then I'll be
implementing tcc based on what programs do and don't compile, and scew the
standards committee too behind the times to put their darn standard on the
web in a way that's compatible with open source development.

I realize that they want to restrict their relevance as much as possible, and
thus have no _official_ version freely available on the web.  I seriously
hope that whatever the next version of the C standard is has nothing to do
with people who fail to get it that spectacularly.

>                                                   -Dave Dodge

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.