tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] cwdaemon, ARRL10 rules file

From: Wilbert Knol
Subject: [Tlf-devel] cwdaemon, ARRL10 rules file
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:32:09 +1300

> There already is an echo function in cwdaemon, it sends '^' when
> cw-playing is done, it uses the same port number (used by tucnak,
> first hit on google). I bet we can use it to do echoing.

Thanks for the tip, Joop. I'l have a play with this function...what I
had in mind is for my logger to pop a character at a time off the
callsign field (by left-shifting it) and to send that to cwdaemon.
Once I get the '^' back, I pop the nect character. That way, I should
be able to alter a callsign even as it is being transmitted.

Something else: I had a play with the latest TFL last night, trying to
home-brew a 'rules' file for the upcoming ARRL 10 m contest (DX-side,
multi-mode). I used 'DX_&_SECTIONS' to make TLF count DXCC countries
as well as ARRL 'sections' as multipliers.

Of course, the 'arrlsections' file provided wouldn't work, because the
contest deals with 'states and provinces' not sections. So I put all
the states and provinces in one file, and called it 'arrlsections'
and also 'arrl10.mults', pointing TLF to the latter for multipliers
with (from memory) the 'MULTS=<filename>' statement.

It almost worked, but there are some funnies with the score...after
the first few QSOs, TLF shows more 'sections' (aka mults)  than that
there are QSOs in the log! New countries worked show up correctly as
mults, except for W and VE, which is correct, too (they count as
states/provinces mults)

However, TLF ignores some new states, as I work them. When I force a
':rescore' it catches up, or sometimes it actually reduces the number
of mults.

I see TLF has a facility for scoring /P stations double, perhaps
something similar could be done for Stateside /N and /T stations
(novices and techs) who are worth more.

I reckon contest rules are written by sadistic contest managers who
have it in for programmers who write logging software. There should
be a contest for the most convoluted contest. We have one here called
the Trans-Tasman contest, and it takes longer to get your head around
the rules than it does to work the sprint :-)

I regret I won't be able to test-drive TLF in the ARRL10, as I have
agreed to do a multi-op at ZL1V, so I am mentally preparing myself
for lots of crashes and corrupted logs...

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ