tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] cwdaemon, ARRL10 rules file

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] cwdaemon, ARRL10 rules file
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:38:30 +0100

On Thursday 09 December 2004 07:32, Wilbert Knol wrote:
> > There already is an echo function in cwdaemon, it sends '^' when
> > cw-playing is done, it uses the same port number (used by tucnak,
> > first hit on google). I bet we can use it to do echoing.
>
> Thanks for the tip, Joop. I'l have a play with this function...what I
> had in mind is for my logger to pop a character at a time off the
> callsign field (by left-shifting it) and to send that to cwdaemon.
> Once I get the '^' back, I pop the nect character. That way, I should
> be able to alter a callsign even as it is being transmitted.

At 40 wpm all this is unnecessary. The technique I use is to type the call
during reception, and there is no need to start sending until the other
station has switched back to receive... I used to have problems with the
TRlog function 'start sending after entering x characters', in that the other
station would only receive the last few characters of his call :)
Anyway, I will put it on the to-do list (I will make it optional).

> Something else: I had a play with the latest TFL last night, trying to
> home-brew a 'rules' file for the upcoming ARRL 10 m contest (DX-side,
> multi-mode). I used 'DX_&_SECTIONS' to make TLF count DXCC countries
> as well as ARRL 'sections' as multipliers.
>
> Of course, the 'arrlsections' file provided wouldn't work, because the
> contest deals with 'states and provinces' not sections. So I put all
> the states and provinces in one file, and called it 'arrlsections'
> and also 'arrl10.mults', pointing TLF to the latter for multipliers
> with (from memory) the 'MULTS=<filename>' statement.
>
> It almost worked, but there are some funnies with the score...after
> the first few QSOs, TLF shows more 'sections' (aka mults)  than that
> there are QSOs in the log! New countries worked show up correctly as
> mults, except for W and VE, which is correct, too (they count as
> states/provinces mults)
>
> However, TLF ignores some new states, as I work them. When I force a
> ':rescore' it catches up, or sometimes it actually reduces the number
> of mults.

Can you send me the files (logcfg.dat and sections) so I can do some debugging
on it?

> I see TLF has a facility for scoring /P stations double, perhaps
> something similar could be done for Stateside /N and /T stations
> (novices and techs) who are worth more.

This one is fairly easy... how many points?

> I reckon contest rules are written by sadistic contest managers who
> have it in for programmers who write logging software. There should
> be a contest for the most convoluted contest. We have one here called
> the Trans-Tasman contest, and it takes longer to get your head around
> the rules than it does to work the sprint :-)
>
> I regret I won't be able to test-drive TLF in the ARRL10, as I have
> agreed to do a multi-op at ZL1V, so I am mentally preparing myself
> for lots of crashes and corrupted logs...

Have fun!!

Rein Pa0R