toutdoux-list

[ToutDoux-list] toutdoux translations and translation projects

From: Christian Rose
Subject: [ToutDoux-list] toutdoux translations and translation projects
Date: 20 Feb 2003 01:51:44 +0100

Hi!

As you may know, we've been storing toutdoux translations in GNOME
cvs, so that GNOME translators inside the GNOME Translation Project
(GTP) could more easily translate it.

However, as there have been clashes in the past with the Translation
Project (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/) where there
unfortunately were translators from both projects working on the same
translations independantly of each other, and as a result much wasted
work and confusion, we've had to decide on and agree on what kind of
software should be taken care of what translation project.

As a result, we've agreed on:

1) Translations of software present in GNOME cvs should be handled by
the GNOME Translation Project (GTP). Important GNOME software or
software that wants in other ways to be considered a part of GNOME
should use (or move to) the GNOME cvs anyway; there are many other
development benefits of using the same cvs for software under the same
project umbrella.

2) Translations of all other software should be handled by the
Translation Project (TP). The TP has a much better infrastructure for
handling of translations of software from many development sources
anyway.

This among other things means that we are starting to phase out the
"extra-po" directory in GNOME cvs where toutdoux has been located
until now.

So, we need to know how to proceed. The decision is up to you -- are you
moving to GNOME and want to use the GNOME cvs, or are you more
comfortable with toutdoux being independantly developed as it is now?

In the first case, we should help you apply for a cvs account
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/policies/accounts/) etc., in the second
case we should help you set up toutdoux in the TP
(http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/maintainers.html) and
import existing translations there.

Opinions/Decisions/Comments?

Christian