Re: New Tramp with uuencode on Windows

From: Douglas Gray Stephens
Subject: Re: New Tramp with uuencode on Windows
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:00:00 +0100

Kai,

At 21:21 (GMT+0200) on 16-September-2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:
 > Douglas Gray Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > I'm a VM user, but have the Gnus code that came with emacs 20.7.1, which
 > > appears to be Gnus version 5.7.
 > >
 > > (require 'uudecode)
 > > results in
 > >  Cannot open load file: uudecode
 > >
 > > Too many permutations :-(.
 >
 > Okay, I'll put uudecode.el into the Tramp contrib directory.  That's
 > what I did with base64.el and format-spec.el...  Thanks for the report.

Thanks.  VM can use the uuencode.exe that comes with the GNU share
file of Unix binaries for Windows, and so is quicker than lisp. I
recall that VM can default to a lisp version for base64 and uuencode,
but obviously this is not as fast.

I was an RMAIL user from '87 till '96, when I moved onto a Windows
laptop, so looked at VM and GNUs, and at the time it appeared VM had a
better life expectancy, although both have maintained, and VM does
everything that I want with MIME etc..

Cheers,

Douglas.

--