Re: Feature request/suggestion

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Feature request/suggestion
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:23:20 +0200 (MEST)

> It seems to me (perhaps it's just an illusion) that the initialization
> phase of a new tramp connection is a bit slower than in earlier versions.
> (Not just via network, even /su:address@hidden initializes quite slowly.)
> Anyhow, a little speedup would be welcome.  I thought that perhaps a cache
> of host capabilities (ls -n, mimencode, etc.) would render some of the
> checks unnecessary.  If you like the idea, I could try to implement it.

Currently, the checks are performed by sending a single command to the other
end, then waiting for the shell prompt, then sending another command, and so
on.  I think it could be quite a bit faster to send a shell script that does
all the detecting in one go.  This would also avoid all the problems with
caching.  There is already a little bit of that -- setting the remote path is
done with a single shell script.  It works quite well.

WDYT?

Kai

--
I like BOTH kinds of music!