Re: imap-hash.el and tramp-imap.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: imap-hash.el and tramp-imap.el
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:38:43 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> MA> * imaps didn't work for me any longer. I've patched
> MA>   `tramp-imap-make-iht' until it worked ... maybe my sledge-hammer patch
> MA>   could be done more elegant. There is still an error message in the
> MA>   mini-buffer when opening the IMAP folder, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
>
> Looks OK.  I haven't tested imaps thoroughly and it's not crucial to
> releasing IMO.  The approach is OK; I want the clients of imap-hash.el
> to modify the IHT as needed after it's created, so it can carry extra
> information as appropriate to the particular client.

I have polished my change a little bit. The default port numbers are
kept now in `tramp-methods', like it is done for other methods as
well. And I also update the user tag in the structure.

> MA> * When you byte-compile tramp-imap.el, there is a warning about unknown
> MA>   function `tramp-imap-get-message-headers'. No idea, what to do here.
>
> I don't see that warning.  I do see:
>
> tramp-imap.el:364:53:Warning: reference to free variable `filename'
>
> which is strange, because with-parsed-tramp-file-name should set
> `filename'.

This I have fixed. However, there is still the warning for
`tramp-imap-get-message-headers. You could check the source code; this
function does not seem to be defined, indeed.

> MA> I really would like to add tramp-imap.el to the CVS repository. I test
> MA> on different machines, and the current situation is inconvenient for
> MA> me. Do you agree for a checkin?
>
> That's fine now, it's sufficiently presentable and maintaineable.
> Latest attached for your review; no changes other than the require 'assoc.

Thanks. There seems to be a misunderstanding; 'assoc needs to be
required in imap-hash.el, not in tramp-imap.el.

I have added tramp-imap.el to Tramp's CVS now. It is also loaded from
tramp.el, when imap-hash.el is available. There are some other cleanups
I have applied before checkin; you might check whether there is
something I have misunderstood ...

In tramp.texi, I have added some short sentences about imap and imaps
methods. I'm not so good in documentation; maybe you find a better
wording.

> I'll ask on emacs-devel about imap-hash.el; it will be used in Tramp and
> Gnus so I would prefer to host it inside Emacs itself, probably under
> lisp/net/ together with imap.el.  Tramp, in order to be self-sufficient
> on XEmacs, may need to package it as well.

OK. Once imap-hash.el has arrived Emacs CVS, I will synchronize the
corresponding changes from Tramp.

With XEmacs, we could wait until it is requested. Tramp hasn't even been
upgraded to 2.1 in the XEmacs package repository (due to license
reasons), so I'm a little bit lazy to work on it. Of course, I won't
protest if somebody else works on the XEmacs part :-)

I will continue to test tramp-imap.el. And likely, I will add an
implementation for `tramp-imap-insert-directory'; I'm using dired a lot.