tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Continuous integration ?

From: Frederik Deweerdt
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Continuous integration ?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:17:32 +0100

On 2/22/07, Robert de Vries <address@hidden> wrote:
Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2007/2/21, Stephane GALLES <address@hidden>:
>> > I really don't know if cruisecontrol is supposed to support this
>> > but seems to me more easy to obtain than a networked
>> > build server.
>> No, quite the contrary. It would be easier to obtain one single
>> continuous integration server, because one single server in enough
>> for all developpers.
>> More than one integration server is kind of meaningless.
>
> For a Java code it may be true.
> This is not quite true for TSP in C , since it should be able
> to build:
> - on Linux i386
> - on Linux x86_64
> - on Linux PPC (coming soon)
> - on  VxWorks (some flavor)
> - on Solaris at least Sparc version
> - on Win32
>
> You cannot (easily) achieve this with one box.

 From my EuroSim experience I agree. I have 3 boxes (+some more coming)
to test the following configurations:
1. Linux i386
    a. RedHat 7.3
    b. RedHat 8.0
    c. RedHat 9
    d. Fedora Core 1
    e. Fedora Core 2
    f. Fedora Core 3
    g. Fedora Core 4
    h. Fedora Core 5
    i. Fedora Core 6
    j. Suse Linux 9.1
    k. Suse Linux 9.2
    l. Debian 3.1
    m. RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 update 3
2. SGI IRIX 6.5
3. Win32 (Cygwin)

Obviously you need different boxes for different OS'es. (although you
could run win32/cygwin on a VM)

That would be quite a bit of work, but it is technically possible to
run i386/PPC/x86-64 cross-compiled executables with qemu _without_ a
VM. See the following example from my i386 box:
$ uname -a
Linux hsh 2.6.21-rc1-def01 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 21 09:28:23 CET 2007
i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
$ file /opt/eldk/ppc-linux/lib/ld.so.1
/opt/eldk/ppc-linux/lib/ld.so.1: ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC
or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
$ qemu-ppc /opt/eldk/ppc-linux/lib/ld.so.1
Usage: ld.so [OPTION]... EXECUTABLE-FILE [ARGS-FOR-PROGRAM...]

This doesn't solve the "specific conf" class of problems, neither the
different OS part.

Regarding a dedicated server, a virtual hosted server costs from 10€
to 30€ / month http://www.amen.fr/static/serveur_prive.html . Any
thoughts on corporate sponsoring?

Regards,
Frederik