Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:41:30 +0000

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:17:41AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:
>
>> OK, I have now installed a completely clean vile 9.6j on my fedora 7
>> system at work.  It's a new installation (since the disk failure) so
>> it's a complete build and install from scratch.
>>
>> After remembering to add the "set file-encoding=utf-8" vile is now
>> working OK with utf-8 pound signs, thank you!
>>
>> There is one minor issue, iso-8859-1 pound signs cause some confusion.
>> They are displayed as pound signs but confuse the cursor positioning.
>> Shouldn't they be shown as 'invalid character'?
>
> The cursor positioning should (is supposed to) work.

Goodness, you're up early!  :-)

> For testing this set of changes, I made a test-file using xterm and typing
> each combination of meta+[a-zA-Z].  That doesn't include the pound sign,
> but it should be in the same 160-255 range.
>
> Perhaps there's something amiss with the character-class for the pound sign
> - will see.

I don't quite follow this.  Maybe I didn't explain my case right.  It
should be impossible (as I understand it) to create a file with
iso-8859-1 pound signs in it if everything is set up correctly for
utf-8 shouldn't it?  I just happened to have some iso-8859-1 pounds in
a file I had created earlier.

When I edited the file with the iso-8859-1 pound signs (just 0xA3
bytes by themselves) I got the incorrect cursor positioning. These are
invalid characters in utf-8 and, I believe, vile should really display
the 'invalid character' glyph which on my system appears to be an
inverse question mark.

> (by the way - on Solaris I got good results using the terminfo driver.
> curses might work if it's linked with the xpg4 library, though I know
> that library has some breakage in the time-delays).

Ah, thank you, I'd forgotten that I probably want a Solaris vile too.
I don't run vile on Solaris as much as I did now that I have a Linux
desktop system which sees all the same filesystems that the Solaris
boxes can see.

>> Now to patch all my viles to 9.6j!
>
> at the moment there's a tarball in
>
>       ftp://invisible-island.net/temp
>
> which is fully patched.  (binaries are a different matter).

Thanks!

--
Chris Green