Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:34:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

They are displayed as pound signs but confuse the cursor positioning.
Shouldn't they be shown as 'invalid character'?

The cursor positioning should (is supposed to) work.

Goodness, you're up early!  :-)

I get to work around 6am...

For testing this set of changes, I made a test-file using xterm and typing
each combination of meta+[a-zA-Z].  That doesn't include the pound sign,
but it should be in the same 160-255 range.

Perhaps there's something amiss with the character-class for the pound sign
- will see.

I don't quite follow this.  Maybe I didn't explain my case right.  It
should be impossible (as I understand it) to create a file with
iso-8859-1 pound signs in it if everything is set up correctly for
utf-8 shouldn't it?  I just happened to have some iso-8859-1 pounds in
a file I had created earlier.

When I edited the file with the iso-8859-1 pound signs (just 0xA3
bytes by themselves) I got the incorrect cursor positioning. These are
invalid characters in utf-8 and, I believe, vile should really display
the 'invalid character' glyph which on my system appears to be an
inverse question mark.

oh.  If you're editing a non-utf8 file that you've told vile _is_ utf8,
then it's supposed to display the illegal codes as something like \?A3
(enough to make them visible, but not simple to edit, since the keyboard
input tries to grab complete characters).

Normally I'm using the file-encoding set to the default (which makes vile
attempt to determine each file's encoding).  For that, I'd see some
files where it doesn't guess that it's utf-8 or utf-16, but when it
does choose those, it's pretty reliable.  (Unlike set-dos and set-unix,
it's not simple to change a buffer's encoding - have to re-read it).

(by the way - on Solaris I got good results using the terminfo driver.
curses might work if it's linked with the xpg4 library, though I know
that library has some breakage in the time-delays).

Ah, thank you, I'd forgotten that I probably want a Solaris vile too.
I don't run vile on Solaris as much as I did now that I have a Linux
desktop system which sees all the same filesystems that the Solaris
boxes can see.

I have shell access to one Solaris that has UTF-8 locales installed - enough to test this (no X forwarding, so I cannot test xvile there).

Now to patch all my viles to 9.6j!

at the moment there's a tarball in

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp

which is fully patched.  (binaries are a different matter).

Thanks!

no problem

--
Thomas E. Dickey