Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:29:42 -0400

thomas wrote:
 > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > thomas wrote:
 > > >
 > > > The "wrapwords" setting is supposed to work with fillcol (I see the
 > > > help-file implies that fillcol/wrapwords and wrapmargin are distinct).
 > >
 > > they are.  one counts from the right, and the other counts from the left.
 > > counting from the right gives "how wide do i want my margins" behavior,
 > > while counting from the left gives "how wide do i want my text" behavior.
 >
 > yes - but the helpfile comment about wrapwords doesn't seem to associate
 > it with wrapmargin.  I'd recalled wrapmargin/fillcol as two different
 > ways to control wrapwords's effect.

you're right that there's overlap.  wrapmargin is checked first, and then
fillcol.  so i guess the min() of those two will win.  but in addition,
a) if fillcol is negative, it will count from the right, so you
can make it behave identically to wrapmargin if you want.  b) if
fillcol isn't set (is == 0), then "columsn - wrapmargin" will be
used instead.  c) when formatting paragraphs, fillcol is checked
first.

make of all that what you will.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 47.8 degrees)