Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:32:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:08:57AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
However, sometimes I co-author documents with others that use
the paradigm where a newline is a new paragraph, not a new line.
For me, by default, these lines look enormously long, so I
turn linewrap on for these documents.  Two questions remain:

* Can I make linewrap also respect the 80 char boundary so that
  lines by others look like my lines.

That sounds like
        :set fillcol=80

No, because linewrapping is "display time", while fillcol is "insert/edit
time".  Besides that, linewrapping of lines longer than fillcol are still
only wrapped when hitting the width of the terminal.

...I did figure this out (looks like you're just getting to the email ;-).

* Can I make linewrap do wordwrapping.. that is not cut a word
  in two if the 90 (or preferebly 80) char boundary is reached?

The "wrapwords" setting is supposed to work with fillcol (I see the
help-file implies that fillcol/wrapwords and wrapmargin are distinct).

Yes, but wrapwords only wraps words to the following line while you
are editting and hit $fillcol number of columns.

It seems in nvi/vim I can do: set columns=80.

I hadn't noticed that nvi does this - nvi (just like vi) always wraps.

Then it works as I want to ("view time"), and in vim I can even
do: set linebreak.
So then it does no longer cut in the middle of words.

yes - it's described as display-only...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net