Re: [vile] :map and unicode

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] :map and unicode
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:11:08 -0500

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:51:48PM +0100, Christopher Illies wrote:
> I would like to map to a unicode character. For example "^Ks," should
> become "ș" (unicode 0x219). For this I type: :map! ^V^Ks, ^Vu219 and
> vile actually displays the ş character correctly, also when showing
> all the mappings with :map!. But when I type ^Ks, in insert mode, some
> asian charaters appear and not the expected ş.

I see _one_ problem (running in en_US.UTF-8 on Linux), which is easily
fixed: vile is expecting the code to have 4 digits, e.g.,

        map! ^V^Ks, ^Vu0219

If there are fewer, it will prompt for the extra digits, and may not
recover as one would like from an unexpected digit.

vile also treats the result differently depending on what the file-encoding
of the current buffer is - it should be utf-8.

If you're seeing some additional problem, then it might depend on the
platform (I've a FreeBSD-6...), or we're missing some detail such as
the particular keystrokes following the ^Ks, sequence.

(let me know - thanks)