vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Design Tasks Proposal

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Design Tasks Proposal
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:53:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'd like to step back from the trees a bit again and
point out something I had in mind at the begining of
this project.  The VRS is a technical solution to a
social problem.  That is the problem of voluntary
association.  And the purpose of that association is
to provide some variety of netservices.

As a tool, the VRS idea may very possibly be used for
things not originally intended.  And it might also be
used for things that it's not at all appropriate for.
So basically, a VRS might be more than I originally
thought of.

I think the discussions about discovery here are
mixing up two different things.  One is the discovery
of a VRS by a LDS.  The other is the discovery of
services offerd to the general public.

LDS's do not need to discover a VRS, since they are
already subscribed to a particular VRS and they know
how to connect by virtue of that subscription process.

And the subscription process is a social event.  The
cluster admin and the LDS's owner must know of each
other ahead of time and agree to associate in a
Cluster.

Since a VRS is seen as a single server to the general
public, any discovery system in public use should be
just fine.