vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Re: SEE and Goldwater integration

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [Vrs-development] Re: SEE and Goldwater integration
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:05:23 +0100

Steven, I don't know if you've written any code yet, but I thought it might
be a useful exercise if I were to cobble together a basic system thus:

(Please correct me if I've got the SEE equivalence bits wrong :o)

NetworkServer     } See*port equivalent
HTTP - Port 80    }

Resource Locator  } SeeDaemon
  and Fetcher     }
      |           }
      |           }
      v           }
   Executor       }

I've kind of got an 'execution' process running (just getting pnet to
generate a shared object for ilrun so I can do the embedding).
The Resource Locator and Fetcher will just pull a PE off disk and pass it to
the executor via a queue.

The seeport I might just implement as a perl CGI, or maybe a bit of perl to
sit on port 80 and listen for requests, passing them to the Resource locator
etc.

Or something.  Shouldn't take me too long to do - in C it'll be done in a few
hours, C# probably longer as I'm still learnin'.

Actually, now I come to think about it I'm not entirely sure _where_ the
content of a request is validated.  For instance, if we're sending XML over
port 80 as a HTTP POST, does the networkserver/seeport validate the content
or is it done by the loaded webservice???

Anyway, if I bung some code together to implement the above, it gives
everyone an opportunity to see in practice what it is I've been ranting on
about for months, and should help Stephen see where the middleware
architecture is coming from and how/if/where it may be of use to him.

thoughts?

Chris