vrs-development

Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Vrs-development] Re: SEE and Goldwater integration

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Vrs-development] Re: SEE and Goldwater integration
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:21:34 +0100

On Monday 14 October 2002 09:46, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > I agree.  It sounds good to me.  My only response is that
> > (eventually,
> > at least), we're going to want to have the webservices loaded into
> > the VM permanently, executing in the same process.  Loading the
> > webservice code and passing it to the VM every time a request comes
> > in is, even with caching, going to be very slow.  The code needs to
> > be pre-loaded into the VM (possibly in the same process?  I'm not
> > sure how fast IPC is for large blocks of data) or we're going to have
> >
> > some performance issues.  Pre-loading allows for partial compilation,
>
> Excuse me for my ignorance,
>
> Does this mean it will be possible to also use this module not only for
> running from the calling apache module, but also from an external
> modules like a scripting language.

Effectively, yes.  All of the modules are tied together with message queues.
So all you need to do is:
a) know the interface specification of the module you wish to call (ie what
data and in what format it is expecting)
b) Attach to the appropriate message queue for that 'module'
c) Squirt your interface complient request into the queue
d) Wait for the reply to come back (if expected)

This is exactly why I'm going to release a skeleton architecture so these
steps are clearly illustrated.

> I guess that you will also be able to provide a sessio id and a way to
> coordinate many different callers together?

Okay - these are new thoughts!
Maybe helpful - can you elaborate pls?

> If this is so, I would like to attempt to create a perl XS/Inline
> wrapper around this module. Is there a simple api I can use?
> 1. open session
> 2. invoke module
> 3. call function -- repeat
> 4. close session

Yes there is a simple API to do this, in C, Perl and C# (incomplete).
Your steps translate to the following:
1. Join Goldwater Application (the messaging middleware)
2. Send request to the VM GWService
3. -- steps two and three are the same thing --
4. Detach from the Goldwater Application

This is exactly how we get things like Apache, Jabber etc interfaced to the
LDS/VRS code, they attach to the 'application' and send properly formatted
data to the appropriate module for handling, all through a simple API.

... thats the plan ...

Coming soon to a theater near you... pa-pa pa-pa pa-pa pa-pa papapa pa!

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.