wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Re: MacOSX

From: Wesnoth
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: MacOSX
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:42:08 +0100

1) Why is there both a module and a directory called MacOSX? What is
the point of having the same files in more than one place in the CVS
repository?

Why? Incompetence on my part. I am not a CVS expert and clearly my attempt to upload didn't work as well as I'd hoped....

2) Why does it contain libtool auto-generated files?
3) Why does it duplicate the intl directory? Is this a specially
modified version?
4) Why does it contain freetype headers? Is this a specially modified version?

Lack of tidy-up. The intl was included during all the horrors of trying to get gettext to function. Anything MacOS specific I plonked into the MacOSX directory. Quite a few tweaks were needed to get functionality. As with most of the changes for Wesnoth, I eventually tried to externalise them wherever possible.

5) Aren't "*~.nib" backup directories? (maybe not, I don't know)

Yes... feel free to remove them.

I am itching to simply erase the directory in wesnoth module. And just
leave the MacOSX module alone for MacOSX developers, and not bother
with it any longer. But there must be some good reasons for this mess,
right?

Yes... like I said, my CVS incompetence. I have 24 years of programming experience on a whole host of languages and platforms, but this was my first ever attempt to commit to CVS. Sadly the CVS documentation I could find suffered from the usual poor human engineering of being clear only to those who already understand it! Needless to say I messed up... but don't mistake incompetence for some cunning higher purpose :)

Feel free to delete anything you wish. Personally, I'd be happy not to have any of the MacOSX files in the CVS. Heaven knows it would be a lot easier for me that way. Some users / developers wanted them, so I have tried to oblige.

IMHO, we should keep it here, so the build files and the "Wesnoth
Scenario Editor" directory can be kept in sync with wesnoth proper.

I also notice that the Wesnoth Scenario Editor does not appear to
include any standard wesnoth headers.  I wonder how much cut'n'paste
there has been.  Maybe this would require some work to clean it up ?

No cut and paste at all. The Wesnoth Scenario Editor does not contain *any* Wesnoth code at all. Hence no need for Wesnoth headers. It is a 100% Cocoa application and at present Cocoa and C++ do not mix well. Nor would that be the most efficient way to approach it. The editor reads the configuration and data files from the bundle.

A quick look at the code would have explained that as it is quite clearly Cocoa and not Wesnoth derived... or even the fact there are no .c files, only .m :)

Similarly, as it is separate code, it cannot be kept in-sync.

Like I've said, if the CVS approach is causing consternation then I shall happily return to the approach which has worked perfectly since version 4 of Wesnoth. Just delete the added files and I shall return to the bliss of read only CVS :D

Best Wishes

Sithrandel