wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] response to Aiming for 1.0

From: Asa Swain
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] response to Aiming for 1.0
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:06:14 -0700 (PDT)

Nils makes some good points in this post. I wanted to
respond to a few.

Campaigns: I agree that unless it gets completed
somehow, in it's current form "The Dark Hordes" is the
weakest campaign currently included. It's a shame
because it's one of the only campaigns I know of that
feature the Undead. But in it's unfinished form, I
don't think it's appropriate for 1.0. Assuming that
all campaigns in 1.0 should be completed.

I'm not sure about Son of the Black Eye. Like the dark
hordes, it's one of the only campaigns featuring the
orcs/northeners, so I think it is useful becuase it
allows players to play as the orcs.  I haven't played
it in a long time, so i don't know if certain
scenarios are broken, but I don't mind it being just
chapter 1 of an unfinished longer storyline.

There is a balance in the current campaigns, HttT
allows you to play as rebels/elves, TDH allows you to
play undead, EI and TRoW allows you to play as
Loyalists and SoTBE allows you to play as Orcs. If we
judge the campaigns on how balanced they are, not
based on if they are complete, then TDH and SoTBE are
very useful, because all together thse 5 cvampaigns
let players play most of the main races/factions in
the game. It's useful to be able to play undead and
orcs in single player campaigns before trying our
these factions in multiplayer.

If there are campaigns featuring undead or orcs that
are better quality than the current ones then I could
see switching them out. But while I agree that some of
the current campaigns are rather lacking in
completeness, I can also see why racially it helps to
have them.

As for the perfect tutorial campaign, the obvious
choice is "The South guard", it's a complete easy
difficulty campaign with an engaging storyline.

Units: let's wait to decide about the high elves until
Jetryl actually finished them. Right now I think they
would make fine units for a campaign. Unless the
resulting campaign became a core campaign I see little
reason why the units would be included in the mainline
build. Balancing a race for a special campaign is a
lot easier than trying to balance it in the
multiplayer arena. So unless they became very popular
I think it's unlikely we would add them to the
multiplayer faction list. But we can cross that bridge
when we get to it.

Speaking of multiplayer factions and units, I'd still
like to see the outlaws removed from the dwarves
factions and perhaps 1 or 2 new drawf units be added.
But that certainly isn't a necessity to finish the
game.

I guess that's all for now.

-Asa