wesnoth-dev

Re: adv. prefs ([Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth 0.9.2)

From: David White
Subject: Re: adv. prefs ([Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth 0.9.2)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 09:16:42 -0500

Hogne Håskjold wrote:

David White wrote:

The intention of the feature was to be accessible by all users, and to easily allow access to 'advanced' features.

It has been against the Wesnoth philosophy from the beginning to try to hide features from users or stop them from cheating in single player games.

David

I have two concerns when it comes to the advanced tab:

1. The UI is just horrible, it should look like the other tabs or be removed.

I'm afraid I don't see the problem with the basic UI. It could use some improvements, but it's core feature is that it's extensible so that things can be added in WML.

2. I fear it will become a dumping ground for all sort of options, it seems to be designed just for that. I believe in the firm position of having good defaults over hundreds of options. Is this no longer the case in Wesnoth?

This is still the case in Wesnoth. It is not designed to allow adding of more options, but it is designed to make existing options more accessible.

Its purpose is to make it so that any option which was added as something that is available by editing the .cfg file is now also available in-game.

David