wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] another level of indirection for dependencies?

From: ott
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] another level of indirection for dependencies?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:56:14 +0200

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:57:43AM +0200, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
> On 7/15/05, ott wrote:
> > When we feel comfortable with this addition to the build process, we
> > can add it to autogen.sh.  Any objections?
>
> It will break the setup of anybody using "autoreconf" instead of
> "autogen.sh". As autoreconf is supposed to supersede autogen.sh, it
> may not be that good an idea.

So you are confirming that Makefile.am must be the root of the dependency
tree?  What a broken design!  Also, it is clear from the docs that
there is no clear way to recurse to build dynamic dependencies, automake
assumes a fixed dependency graph root.  The behaviour of autoreconf may
be useful in such cases, but it is not documented at all.  I'm starting
to understand the viewpoint of people like Joerg Schilling, the author
of cdrecord, who roll their own build systems.

In the meantime I did commit mkmam, the script to generate a Makefile.am
from Makefile.am.in by substituting occurrences of @NAME@ in _SOURCES
variable assignments from the contents of file NAME, maybe it will find
some use.  I'll hold off on committing the other components.  I'll also
work on a script to grab the lists implicit in the _SOURCES assignments
and dump them into plain files, for use by Xcode or other build systems,
and for sanity checking vs. the POTFILES.in system.

> Why not systematically put a "#define GETTEXT_DOMAIN wesnoth-someting"
> at the start of each source file, instead of only a few of them? It
> would make it clear what the domain is, and a simple grep would give
> you the list of files you are looking for. Am I missing something?

Would be happy to add this.  What heuristic to use, though?  We have
the lists of files in the wesnoth.*_SOURCES targets, and a different
set of lists in the various POTFILES.in.  It would seem to me to make
sense to include files in the intersection of wesnoth_editor_SOURCES
and wesnoth_SOURCES into gettext domain wesnoth-lib, but I recall yann
discussing this a few months ago and deciding not to proceed (as a result
we have a very small wesnoth-lib, almost all code strings are in wesnoth,
even though almost all files are shared between the game and the editor
and very few are exclusive).

If I'm adding defines to source files, I will also add copyright headers
-- at least a handful don't have any.  I would prefer if the authors
added them, but since some of these files have gone through dozens of
revisions without any headers being added, I'll just add the generic
David White 2003 header.

-- address@hidden