wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Moving Wesnoth repository ...

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Moving Wesnoth repository ...
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:25:24 +0200

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:53:33PM +0200, ott wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:33:23PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 10:13 +0200, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> > > We all agree that Wesnoth should switch to SVN for version control.
> >
> > SVN?  It's a real pain to use compared to something modern and
> > distributed like mercurial or bazaar-ng, or even git.  The Xen project
> > moved to mercurial and it's been sweet.
>
> At this stage, the only places we have been able to locate free project
> hosting all do either CVS or SVN.  If you know of other alternatives,
> please let us know.

Some distributed tools (like git) do not need more than an RSYNC or
FTP/HTTP server.  However, that mosty means that a single person owns
a repository.  But then each developpers can have his own repository
on the server, and could push to Sirp via mail.  I guess any more
comfortable ways of working all require some software to be installed
on the server.

I remember reading somewhere that savannah and/or gna were supporting
arch.
Now I did not try to push arch over svn, mainly because there was no
stable win32 version of tla, and it is not clear to me that things
have really improved since then.

Some other tools like git are probably pretty much unix-only for now.
If there would be a cross-platform distributed tool supported on a
known server, that could be great.

If not, we can always use svk together with subversion, to provide us
with some distributed support.  It is not clear to me whether it is
easy/supported to make a svk repository publicly accessible, but at
least it allows anyone to work on local private branches.  Devs would
still need to be careful, since (afaik) when pushing work from a local
branch, svk will commit it as a single changeset, which is likely not
a good idea when the branch contains work on several different
things...

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: