wp-mirror-list

Re: [Wp-mirror-list] [Savannah-users] Request IPv6 address for download.

From: wp mirror
Subject: Re: [Wp-mirror-list] [Savannah-users] Request IPv6 address for download.savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:33:45 -0500

Dear Bob,

1) IPv6 mirrors

Thank you for the list of IPv6 mirrors. I tested several of them.

1.1) Some appear to be out-of-service.  For example,
<mirror.team-cymru.org> has a AAAA record, but is otherwise
unresponsive (does not answer `ping6', nor can I establish a
connection using `http' or `rsync').

1.2) Some sites are up, but mirror `gnu' only.  For example,
<mirror.anl.gov>, while it does not answer `ping6', it does admit a
connection using `http' or `rsync'.  However, only the `gnu'
collection is found, and not the `nongnu' collection.

1.3) I did find one site with the complete collection.  Try:

(shell)$ rsync gnu.c3sl.ufpr.br::gnu/ftp/
(shell)$ rsync gnu.c3sl.ufpr.br::savannah/
(shell)$ lynx http://gnu.c3sl.ufpr.br/ftp/
(shell)$ lynx http://savannah.c3sl.ufpr.br/

This solves my immediate needs.

2) IPv6 at the FSF

I did test various FSF related domain names.

2.1) Several domain names have AAAA records.  However, these sites
neither respond to `ping6' nor admit a connection via `http'.  For
example:

(shell)$ dig www.fsf.org AAAA
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.fsf.org.            300     IN      AAAA    2001:4830:134:4::a
(shell)$ dig www.gnu.org AAAA
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.gnu.org.            204     IN      CNAME   wildebeest.gnu.org.
wildebeest.gnu.org.     69      IN      AAAA    2001:4830:134:3::a

2.2) Several domain names have no AAAA record.  For example:
<www.nongnu.org>, <download.gnu.org>, <download.nongnu.org>.

3) Conclusion

The IPv4 address space has been exhausted.  More of us find ourselves
on IPv6 networks.  Please forward this thread to (or put me in touch
with) someone at FSF who would be in a position to make FSF sites IPv6
addressable.

Sincerely Yours,
Kent