Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:46:24 -0700

Not sensitive for me, and I'm glad you brought it up.

I don't need to bail out completely, though I'll probably continue to
do very little.

I'm willing to host web pages in my domain indefinitely, but for many
reasons it would be a good idea to move the primary web pages for
xboard to a URL that doesn't have my name in it.  The GNU project has
web space for us at http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard that we
currently are not using, so that seems like a reasonable place to put
the project's pages.  Stallman sent Arun and me an email for GNU
maintainers recently that includes instructions for how to put pages
there.  I don't think the project needs its own domain name; does
anyone else?

The chess pages that I have now on tim-mann.org are sadly out of date
in many ways, so just copying them over isn't enough.  I don't think
the project even should start by copying them over, as the current pages
have the flavor of being part of my personal web site, not pages for a
multi-person project where others are doing 99+% of the work.  Maybe
there is still some useful stuff there that could be reused, though.

Here's a suggestion: gradually change the documentation to point to
http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard, after putting a small placeholder
page there.  The placeholder should have some basic info and a links to
places to go for more info, such as
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xboard/, the WinBoard Forum, and
probably my old pages.  Then when/if someone has the time and
motivation, they can replace the placeholder page with a more extensive
web site.

Also, I can take some time to update my old chess pages (probably
mostly by deleting stuff that's outdated).  When it makes sense to,
I'll replace most of the content with a pointer to the new web site.

How does this sound?

        --Tim

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/