Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:21:04 -0700

Hi

> [web pages]

yes, I think that would be a clean solution. We first put up a small
page for xboard with a download, links and documentation section and if
Tim can move his pages to another name (to which we will then link) and
have www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html issuing a 301 (permantenly moved) to
http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard the whole move should go without
anyone running into "file not found" errors.

> Note that the way we used to distribute XBoard for Linux is becoming a
> bit outdated; Linux users nowaday expect to rely on the packaging system
> to download software and solve dependencies, by typing "apt-get install".
> A Debian package for XBoard would probably not contain the WinBoard stuff.
> So we should continue to host sources for WinBoard anyway, and Linux
> users should be able to build and install an XBoard from source with it.

I'm planing on generating rpms and debian packages (already have rpms
for openSUSE). Both can be created on the openSUSE build-server, which
makes updating them quite easy. We can then offer those packages from
the new webpage for openSUSE it's easy to offer "one-click" installs
from the webpage.

> I don't really have a WinBoard section on my own website, just a page with
> some screenshots (mostly of variants). We probably should combine that with
> Alessandro's page on Winboard_x, and the "manual.html" in the source tree,
> to quickly get a site advertizing the new features of this XBoard (since
> 4.2.7).

we can also put a html-version of the documentation (the texi file) up
there.

Arun