Re: [XBoard-devel] License matters

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] License matters
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 00:20:21 +0200

At 10:22 6-6-2009 -0700, Tim Mann wrote:
You do generally need to make sure that you have permission to
redistribute things, and if you bundle a lot of stuff together, your
bundle is effectively bound by the most restrictive license.  For
instance, if you put a "free for all non-commercial purposes" font in
the bundle, then maybe it's not OK for anyone to include that bundle on
a CD that is sold, not even as an extra add-in.  (Generally the "free
for non-commercial purposes" type of license is a bad thing, since it's
not well defined what a "commercial purpose" is.)

Well, I don't really see this as a problem. The WinBoard installer bundle
is not supposed to appear on any CD, we only make it for people to
download it from our website and mirrors.

But the fact that we can bundle things with incompatible licences together
definitely does make life a lot easier. In particular, it means it is possible
without any disadvantage at all to bundle together with closed-source
freeware, such as Joker80, HaQiKi D, most of the Chess fonts from
http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm , etc.

H.G.