Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:35:10 +0100

Den 11-02-2012 10:05, h.g. muller skrev:
Btw, it seems that the German translation for the menu item / title
for the Match Options dialog is wrong. It translates 'match' the same
as 'game', which is confusing. Actually the item text 'Match...' used in
the XBoad menu is already a bit confusing: XBoard knows a distinction
between games, (old-style two-player) matches, and tournamnents.
This dialog was called Match Options because it was introduced
before XBoard could also do tournaments. In WinBoard, where it
was implemented only later, it is indeed called 'Tournament...' in
the menu.

I don't know where translation bugs should be reported.

Normally the po-files will have a Language-Team entry in the file header with a contact address. In lack of that, there is always the Last-Translator entry.

However we should be aware that many translation errors are due to ambiguous original texts where the translators don't have enough context to properly select the right translation for their language.

We should learn from this, and provide comments for the translators about what is meant by "Match" when it is used in a translation unit without clarifying context.

This should also be done for others texts, most notably for the single letters "R", "G", "B", "D", and probably also for other texts.

> But if they are
quite serious, like this one, I suppose we can alter the .po file
ourselves.

Normally that would a bad idea for translations delivered from translationproject.org.