Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:32:34 +0200

OK, I pushed a commit now that implements the forcing of exact texture scaling to full board size in register with the square pattern. It does not do any padding yet when the board image does not contain enough squares for the current board format, and I don't want to do that for the upcoming release. For now people will simply have to provide a bitmap that is large enough.

A -0x0 suffix does exact scaling to the height of the board, ignoring the width. I am not sure what else I could do, because I don't want to use scalings that change the aspect ratio. I guess this option only makes sense for bitmaps that have the same aspect ratio as the board. Fortunately most boards are square. Or they must make sure it is wide enough.

I tried to suppress anti-aliasing with the size doubling of the XQ board in the cut-and-tile method, but this does not seem to have any effect; the lines after scaling remain blurred. I therefore made it a bit more reluctant to scale up the bitmap; it now only does it when the board window exceeds 125% of the bitmap size, as the cutting-and-tiling still works acceptable upto those sizes, and I like the result better than after size doubling. Of course the size doubling could be delayed further by supplying a larger bitmap.