Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:33:44 -0700

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:28 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> I still badly regret I upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04. My sound card started
> stuttering, the WiFi hardware of my computer was no longer supported, and
> I cannot use USB at all. I tried to install 12.04 on a virtual machine,
> and the install made the VM crash. From what I have seen from other
> people, 12.04 has a completely new user interface that is complete crap. I
> would never want that on any computer I actually had to work on. So if
> 10.04 gets unworkable, I guess I would have to switch to another distro
> (people recommend Fedora).

I switched to Xubuntu and am at 14.04 now. Xubuntu uses a more
traditional style of UI, reasonably similar to what you're used to. As
far as I know, Fedora went with Gnome3, which to me is almost the same
as Ubuntu's new Unity UI and just as unusable for desktop machines.
Xubuntu has been a good solution for me, where I can get the frequent
package updates but not have to use the crazy UI.

You can try booting Xubuntu from a live CD and see whether the
problems with hardware support of your machine are any better or
worse.