Re: [XBoard-devel] C89/C99/ANSI compliance - cleanups needed?

From: Joshua Pettus
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] C89/C99/ANSI compliance - cleanups needed?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:27:10 -0500

 Because Cygwin phased out using -mno-cygwin gcc flag, (it doesn’t work at all now)  we really should get rid of this on the makefile.gcc
I just tried mingw in cygwin to build hgm’s branch of winboard, and it compiled successfully. (with mingw, not cygwin’s gcc as posix select() is different from window’s select() and fails)   I imagine mingw will work on other unix systems.

Josh Pettus

On Jan 11, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Tim Mann <address@hidden> wrote:

> does cross-compiling the code using mingw work, ie. building windows executables on linux that could be tested in wine?

I think that should work, but I haven't tried running WinBoard in wine for ages, and I don't think I ever tried cross-compiling for mingw from Linux.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Arun Persaud <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi

On 01/11/2016 01:32 PM, H.G. Muller wrote:
> The only solution I can see is that you would do what you thinks needs
> to be done
> in small chunck, so that after each one I can test of the code still
> builds for WinBoard.
>
> But it should not be that difficult for you to test if WinBoard would
> still compile,
> (as opposed to link). If you can compile *.c in the winboard directory
> with "gcc -c"
> and the *.c files in the base directory with "gcc -c -DWIN32", and don't
> move any code
> from the shared backend files to the XBoard front-end (e.g. from
> engineoutput.c
> to nengineoutput.c) it should be more or less OK. The only problem could
> be a few
> Windows-specific headers, like windows.h, but I am sure we could sent
> these to you
> (e.g. from Cygwin, which I use to build WinBoard) so that you can put
> them on your
> system together with the other includes.

does cross-compiling the code using mingw work, ie. building windows
collectables on linux that could be tested in wine?

Would it work if we change things in the make file?

I don't have much time to work on XBoard these days, but if someone can
get it to build with minwg that might be an option...

Arun